"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Monday, December 12, 2011

And now for a little light caroling

It's a rainy day in southern California, which is as close to looking like Christmas as we're going to get, if you don't count all the fake snow at the theme parks. I had planned a lot of things to do that involved going outside, not because I hadn't seen the forecast, but because I was in denial that it would come true. So now I'm going to spend the day mostly inside. I may force Duffy to go out for a walk later.


He is, of course, excited about this opportunity to be cold and wet.

I thought this would be a great time to listen to a little holiday music, starting with Dean Martin. The only thing I don't like about this video is that it doesn't show Dino - how crazy is that?



Honest to Pete, I don't know what it is about his voice and this song, but it all sounds so flirty and masculine I just want to giggle like a schoolgirl.


I also found this video of Dean singing a song I don't think I've ever heard but it's totally cool. What's totally uncool is that embedding has been disabled, so all I can do is point to this link.
Here's a version of "The Christmas Song" I stumbled upon while cruising for Dino tunes. Makes me feel all nostalgic.



Finally, it wouldn't be Christmas without these kids.



Confess: how many times have you watched this show? For extra points, how many times have you watched it NOT at Christmastime, just because it's so delightful?

2 comments:

Tameri Etherton said...

I only watch the Charlie Brown Christmas at Christmastime because watching it in the Spring would be sacrilege. No, seriously, it would be.

Love Dean Martin singing Christmas carols! I have him and Frank on my iPod and they always make me smile. And Nat King Cole, too. Oh, those boys can sing it!

So, did you take Duffy out? He looks pretty comfy in that pic.

Gayle Carline said...

Yeah, I think I've tried watching the Charlie Brown Christmas out of season and thought physical law was going to make me fall off the earth.

Duffy and I did go out. He kept looking back at me, through the raindrops, to see if I was just kidding and we were going home. We made it short - 20 minutes.

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.