"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

And many happy returns

It's that time of year again. Dale and I are celebrating another anniversary. Last year I did a whole giveaway, which I'm not going to do this year, although I am planning some fun things for the future. In particular, I'm looking forward to releasing Snoopy's memoir.

Dale and I are scampering off to Cambria for a fun weekend of wine tasting, touring Hearst castle, and enjoying the views. (If you're planning to rob us while we're away, let me just say that we have some pretty vigilant neighbors, an attack cat on the premises, and Sonny Boy will be stopping in unannounced. Oh, yeah, plus we don't have anything worth stealing.)

We've been married for 21 years, and I can honestly count them all as happy. Yes, sometimes we were both too buried in the mundane things of life to pay attention to things like romance. Sometimes we're still that way. But underneath it all, there was a feeling of peace and contentment, and the idea that marriage wasn't just a word, it was a solid thing that exists along with our individual selves. It needs what we all need: attention, respect, trust, love.

Twenty-one years ago, I walked down the aisle, feeling both joyful and comfortable. I still feel that way.



Now... let's celebrate!



I will do ONE fun thing for YOU this weekend. The first person who can identify where our wedding was held can have a free book. Any of them, any format you like. (Hint: we live in southern California.)

1 comment:

Tameri Etherton said...

Happy Anniversary!

Enjoy your scampering, you crazy kids. Love you both oodles and hope you have many, many, many more happy returns!

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.