Today, I scheduled a non-writing day, even though I am only busy in the late morning (and sort of early afternoon) taking a riding lesson. What else could be so important?
I have to get my books and stuff ready for the Duarte Author Festival this Saturday. I won't tell you this is a big money-maker for me. It's not. It's a lot of schlepping and schmoozing for a few book sales. Why do it?
1. It's in a beautiful venue, so I feel I have not schlepped in vain.
2. Schlepping aside, I like schmoozing, and people actually recognize me from the previous years. I know that I can get signups to be alerted to my next book release, and gather more fans.
3. This is the festival where I met Ray Bradbury. It will always have a place in my heart.
4. I usually get to spend the day with one of my good writing buddies, Pam Carter Ripling (writing as Anne Carter). I love her lighthouse mysteries, and she's such a peach. (Note: she will not be here this year and I'm dying just a little, but Tee Burrell will be sharing the table and she's equally good company.)
|Pam's on the right (her funny/cute niece Alyssa is on the left, and our dear friend Jeff is in the middle)|
5. This is a fundraiser for the Friends of the Duarte Library. How can I not support that?
Now that I've listed why I will be there, here are five good reasons why YOU should join me:
1. It's not that far away (Westminster Gardens, 1420 Santo Domingo Ave, Duarte). Only thirty minutes from my house in Orange County, for Pete's sake.
2. Once you get there, it looks like this.
3. They have over 50 authors, entertainment, children's activities, and panels where authors talk about books.
4. Did I mention this is a library fundraiser?
5. You can schmooze with moi. I'll have my physical books for sale, plus a sign-up sheet for my soon-to-be-released third mystery, The Hot Mess. PLUS, if you visit my Facebook Author Page, there is a secret code for getting a big discount on any of my books, including the new one.
Now that I've given you all the reasons to come, and there's no reason not to (other than band practice or heart surgery), when can I expect you to show up?