"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The witching hour nears

We've never discussed witches, have we? Well, apart from this chick.

"Why no, Mrs. Danvers, I don't want to roast marshmallows."


Here's what I find weird about witches: they seem to be goth fairies. Compare them. Both have magic powers.



Both can be capricious.



It's just a matter of dress.




When I saw the Wizard of Oz as a child, I was fairly terrified of the Wicked Witch of the West. That black and white scene where she morphs from Miss Gulch into The Witch made me shiver to my soul. Of course, I played it brave for my family, because when I admitted fear, they laughed.

I'm telling you, I could have won an Oscar at my house.

As I grew older, witches grew less frightening. Snow White's stepmother was scarier when she transformed into the old hag, but not awful. Maleficent should have been crazy-scary, but I actually loved the dragon. I was sorry to see how that ended.



Bette, Kathy, and Sarah Jessica were adorably hideous as the Sanderson Sisters. Not horrible. Adorable.




Then WICKED (the book) happened and turned the Wicked Witch into a sympathetic anti-hero, and the musical took that idea and made being green and powerful a good thing.



She's not wicked, she's misunderstood.

Who's your favorite witch? Fairy? Dragon?

No comments:

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.