"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Beautiful is beautiful

I know this is a blog to talk about writing, how I do it, how I feel about it, etc., but I have to share the good news from one of my good friends. Robin Reichelt is a bright, funny woman I've known since our sons were in Miss Veronica's dance class (boys' tap and hip hop) together. She and I bonded over our families (married with 1 son), our sense of humor, and our love of the arts. I often refer to her as my "wild haired friend" since I cannot call her and chat aimlessly, without hearing, "I got an idea. Throw some clothes in a bag and let's go to Palm Springs." Or some such adventure. That's Robin - she's always "got an idea."

Although Robin has made her primary living by creating ingenius marketing schemes for large companies like ConAgra, her heart belongs to her art. Sound familiar? Unlike me, Robin's medium is pottery. For the past few years, her job consumed much of her life, leaving just enough free time to spend with her son and husband, and molding clay was on the low end of her totem pole. But recently, she returned to her passion in a big way and has been creating some of the most unique and beautiful pieces I've ever seen.

Some of her pieces were in a gallery showing in December. I am ashamed to say I missed the showing because I was out giving horseback riding lessons, but the gallery featured her in their blog. In addition to pictures, they have a wonderful explanation, from Robin, about why she loves clay so much.

So, click on this link: http://chemersgallery.blogspot.com

You won't be disappointed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well aren't you just the sweetest friend!

One of the reasons I have offered you a very meaningful and significant award in the industry. Okay, It's the Butterfly Award and it's a "meme" award. What does it mean? It means I think you have an awesome Blog and I wanted to share it with my readers.

So check out my Blog and see what you have won.

http://karensyed.blogspot.com

Morgan Mandel said...

We all have our talents. We just need to figure out what they are. Some lucky people have even more than one.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Dana Fredsti said...

I tried leaving a comment earlier and it didn't take, so trying again. I LOVE Robin's work! That sushi dish is amazing...

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for directing people to our website chemersgallery.com. We really appreciate it. Robin is such a great person & we are enjoying her ceramics!

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.