"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Sunday, January 10, 2010

The price of being me

My hubby and I had dinner last night at my old boss Susan's house. Her husband, Joe, has written several books, all non-fiction technical, and wanted to talk to me about writing fiction. Another couple, Cathy and Dan, whom we've known for several years, joined us. It was one of those odd things where Susan thought we'd all make a good dinner party before she even knew that we knew the other couple. Funny how things work out.

At any rate, we began talking about writing, but moved somehow into talking about traveling. Everyone was sharing their stories of road trips. Where they'd been, what they liked, where they wanted to go next. Joe really loves visited Baja and has, I think, convinced Dan to go.

Dale and I don't travel nearly as much as the rest of them. We've been to Paris, Venice, Rome, Pisa and Florence (Firenze for my Italian friends), some islands in the Caribbean, and some of the U.S., including Alaska. Not a big bunch of postcards. Dale wants to go to Hawaii for spring break - we've both been, but not together. Hawaii for me is meh. Pretty. Hot. Pretty hot. I'd rather go somewhere cool. We're talking about taking a trip this summer with friends to Scotland, Wales and Spain. Why Spain, I don't know. Spain for me is meh.

But I digress...

We told them about our road trip from California to Illinois, and that everyone chose a place to visit. My choice was the Meteor Crater, just outside Winslow, Arizona. I chose this mostly so we could take a picture, standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona - get it? Take It Easy? The Eagles?

Thanks for your applause. No one at the table got it.

Moving on, Dale's place of choice was the Negro Baseball League Hall of Fame in Kansas City. Joe turned to me and said, "What do you think of Kansas City?"

My immediate thought was, "I hear they got some crazy little women there." Get it? Kansas City? Fats Domino? Yeah. My next immediate thought was, "Abort! Abort! Don't say that!" At which point I laughed, in a stupid and inappropriate way.

Thank you. Thank you very much. I'll be appearing nightly at the bar.



2 comments:

Liz Kreger said...

I got the Winslow, Arizona reference, Gayle ... but then I'm a huge Eagles fan. Even got the Kansas City comment. You need to get more musically inclined friends. LOL.

Enid Wilson said...

America is so big you can spend your life travelling around it. The same applies to Australia. But I like places with more history and that's why I like Europe.

Really Angelic

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.