"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Thursday, April 28, 2011

A little of this, a little of that

I thought I'd go completely off the wall topic today and just get a few things out of the way.

First of all, let me put a common misconception to rest. Here's my birth certificate:

I'm from Illinois, people. Stop saying I must be from outer space or something.

Second, while I'm thrilled for the happy couple and all of my friends who are glued to the news and agog at the spectacle, I will not be watching The Wedding. I don't even like to go to weddings to which I've been invited. I go because I want to show my respect for the people who've invited me. I live in jeans and t-shirts. The idea of spending several hours in my Spanx is not appealing. Plus, if you ask me, most people plan their weddings with more enthusiasm than they plan their marriages. Just saying.

Third, but most importantly, my prayers and thoughts are with the people who experienced the horrible storms in the South. Six states, dozens of tornadoes, around 250 dead. Please know that we are thinking of you, that there are people willing to help in any way they can, and that you are resilient. You will make it to the other side of this tragedy, even if we have to carry you.

Finally - Moses in the bulrushes, I understand, but how exactly do you accidentally leave your baby in the bushes?

I've got to run, now. There are still a couple of last minute tasks to complete before my whirlwind weekend. On Friday, hubby and I are attending the Bob Cole Conservatory of Music (CSULB) Vocal Jazz Concert, featuring Pacific Standard Time and Jazz & Tonic (of which my son is a member). Pacific Standard Time won the 2010 Downbeat Magazine Student Music Awards for best Collegiate Vocal Jazz group, so word on the street is that the theater will be packed to the gills and we'll have to get there early to get seats.


Then on Saturday and Sunday, you know where I'll be. Booth 903, USC, LA Times Festival of Books. I'm in the Murder We Wrote booth with a lot of other cool authors. Come by and say hello!


No comments:

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.