"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Thursday, October 6, 2011

A *shudder*shudder*EEW show

Twilight Zone was the gold standard of storytelling. The writers (mostly Rod Serling) managed to put an allegorical spin on many of the tales, to talk about war and censorship and the evil that men do. A few years after the Twilight Zone came a TV show that was just as weird, except there was no attempt at teaching a lesson. Humans fought against monsters, scientifically, and sometimes against their own weaknesses.


It was next on my list of Things That Make Me Go *shudder*shudder*EEW.





My favorite episode was The Sixth Finger. Frightening, gloomy, and yet with such campy lines as, "Your ignorance makes me ill and angry." Yes, Gwyllm, I agree.


The fun part about this particular episode is that Gwyllm, the miner who is scientifically evolved into the Big Brain, was played by David McCallum. From childhood, I've had a major crush on him. Now that he's Ducky on NCIS, he's still crush-worthy to me.


This isn't his best look.

Any of you ever watch this show? How about Twilight Zone?


Compare and contrast, please, Class.

No comments:

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.