"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pinterest, shminterest.

Everybody and their dog have been singing the praises of Pinterest. I'm not a lemming, so I listened politely for awhile, until a bunch of my author friends began using it. Then I decided maybe I should check it out and see how it could be useful to me.


For about a week after I got my Pinterest account, I would log on, look at how to "pin" things and create "boards", then get exhausted thinking about it and log off. After awhile, I was getting a lot of followers and feeling badly, because what were they following? A user with no content? Really?


Over the past couple of days, guilt overwhelmed me and I started a couple of boards with a couple of pix. I've got "Peri's Haunts" with pictures of places I use in Freezer Burn and Hit or Missus (and the 3rd book, soon), and "My Horses" with pictures of Frostie and Snoopy.


Today, I know how this Pinterest thing can be useful. I posted a picture of Snoopy the night he was born with a quote from the memoir I'm writing. People I've never heard of are "re-pinning" the picture. (P.S. Re-pinning is when other people pin your picture to other places and kind of pass it around.) I could let these people know when Snoopy's memoir gets published and who knows?




What do you think? Oh, my Pinterest link is http://pinterest.com/gaylecarline, if you're p-interested.

1 comment:

Tameri Etherton said...

Okay, here are my thoughts about shminterest. I love pinning pics. I made up a storyboard for The Temple of Ardyn and I love finding pics that kind of sort of look like the people and places in my book.

Beyond that, I don't know that the sam hill I'm doing on Pinterest. One of these days when I have more time (hahahahahahaha!!) I'm going to sit down and figure it out. Apparently you can put recipes and a whole bunch of stuff on there.

Oh, and there seems to be some controversy about copy right, but I just don't get it.

For now, I love it. ; )

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.