"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Friday, May 11, 2012

Weekend funnies

I'm in a Popeye mood today, perhaps because I yam what I yam. Yams... hmm...

Sweet potato and pecan pie

Okay, maybe I'm just hungry.

At any rate, I thought I'd show you one of my favorite Popeye cartoons. The fun thing about these cartoons is they weren't dumbed down for kids. The action is timelessly slapstick, and the dialogue is hysterical for adults, too. In this episode, it seems like Olive Oyl gets the best lines.

Enjoy.



P.S. Best line ever: "I wear a three-and-a-half but an eight feels so good." Preach it, Olive.

No comments:

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.