"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Friday, August 3, 2012

What's new with you?

Just a brief check-in today to share a couple of things:

1. The third mystery is officially finished. Okay, it's the first draft, but it's written, like, all the way to THE END. The angels sang and the heavens wept tears of joy. I should just know, after three mysteries, that the last 20,000 words are a bitch. There's no nicer way to word it, kids. They usually manage to stretch themselves out to 30,000 at least. I feared I was coming in a little short on this story, at about 68,000 words. Final total was over 76,000.

But I like it. I really like the way it ended. Uber cool, and I say this as a person who really hates every ending in every book she's ever read or written. I'm now sitting back and wondering about the pacing, but I'm not going to open the file again for at least three weeks. It has to age a little, without getting rotten.

By the by, I still don't have a good title for it. Let's work on that, shall we?

Finishing that one means I get to start on my Snoopy memoir, which I'm super excited about. I did write about 10,000 words on that one, but I think I want to go in a different direction. For a writer, that doesn't necessarily mean I'll throw everything away. I'll probably just rearrange it.

2. I finally settled on the logo for my very own self-publishing company. I really didn't plan on being such an independent girl. I searched for an agent/publisher and got lots of nice feedback. No "you need to go back to Grammar School, Missy" letters. I just never got a contract. So, oops, let's put it on Amazon and see what happens.

Now I've surrendered. My books will be published under Dancing Corgi Press. Here's my logo:


Joe Felipe designed it. Love it. Soon you'll be able to look for the union label, so to speak.

That's all the news that's fit to print these days. What's happening in your world?

1 comment:

Tameri Etherton said...

Wow! So many things to congratulate you on... first of all, finishing the third book. I'd love to help you with the title. Hmm... maybe I need to read it first to, you know, get an idea of what the title could be. :)

Second, you get to start on the Snoopy memoir! That's going to be so much fun to write.

Third, your logo is too darn cute. Love the Dancing Corgi name, too.

Cheers to you, my friend. You've had a very busy week!

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.