"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Monday, September 24, 2012

I *heart* cartoons

So that's what you're all gonna get this week.

When I was little and everyone thought I was going to be an artist, I wanted to be an animation artist and work for Walt Disney and make wonderful movies like Bambi, or Lady and the Tramp.

Or a veterinarian. Or a jockey.

To this day, cartoons have a soft-warm-fuzzy place in my cold little murderous heart. I love them. I love that you can do ANYTHING in animation, from growing wings and flying to walking on rainbows, and yet a good script, plus some good artists can generate as much emotional impact as the best live action movie.

I actually preferred Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies to the Disney cartoons, except for Chip 'n Dale. Maybe I was a mean little kid, but I liked a little edge to my humor.

I indoctrinated Marcus at an early age. When his friends were watching Barney, he was learning to drop an anvil on a coyote, which was a better lesson, especially in southern California. Then we discovered Nickelodeon, a cable station that was blooming with wonderful cartoons in the 90's.

This is one of our favorites, Hey Arnold!



I love that little football head. But only in the most platonic way - Helga would whup my tush otherwise!

No comments:

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.