"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Sunday, June 30, 2013

But what does it all mean?

My last post left a new reader puzzled.

"Who exactly are the people who sit on the edge of the chair of Literature? It seemed like a strange title for a blog about personal takes on politics."

Gentle Reader,

I'm usually not political at all, and tried to make that clear in the last post, but please forgive me for not being clearer. As far as the title, a few years ago, I actually went into great detail explaining how I came up with the title for my blog. You can read it here.

Sincerely,
The Writer Who Isn't Often Political, But Is Always Writing

James Thurber remains one of my writing heroes. His sense of humor had a sarcasm and melancholy that has had a lasting appeal to me over the years. I found this animation of one of his more famous "fairy tales" and thought I'd share.



What's not to like?


1 comment:

Tameri Etherton said...

What a cool story of how you came up with your blog's name. Writing from fear, yep, I totally understand that one. Fear of never being able to write again.

Love you, love your blog, and especially love that you're a humor writer and not a political pundit. Thats not to say I don't like your political pieces, because I do, but I love that you bring lightness and joy into the world.

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.