"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Friday, August 22, 2014

Who is Willie Adams?

Hi, Peeps! I'm engrossed in a whirlwind of writing, cleaning, and shopping in preparation for my big trip to Scotland on Monday. There's so much I need to be doing, but LJ Sellers  and Peg Brantley invited me to participate in a Character Blog Hop, so off I go, hippity-hop-hop. I thought I'd tell you all about the main character from MURDER ON THE HOOF.


1) What is the name of your character? Is she fictional or a historic person?
Wilhelmina (Willie) Adams is a purely fictional character. I used a little bit of this person I used to know, plus that person I've met, plus... well, you get the idea. I made her a software engineer, because I wanted her to have a job I didn't have to research. And I made her quite a bit younger than me - 35. I wanted a younger audience with a romance, but I grow tired of the twenty-somethings in books who seem to have all the fun.
My mental picture of Willie.

 

2) When and where is the story set?
The story is in contemporary times, and is set at the Los Angeles Equestrian Center, at an AQHA horse show. AQHA is American Quarter Horse Association, and represents the Quarter horse breed. Basically, there are two types of horse shows: breed-specific with lots of events, and event-specific with lots of breeds.

Cattitude - one of my favorite Quarter horses!
 

3) What should we know about her?
What you should know about Willie is that she is a fiercely independent nerd who has been a widow for three years. She has spent those years "flying below the radar" - going to work, trying out different hobbies, putting one foot in front of the other. In other words, just trying to survive the pain of losing her husband. Horses are the first hobby that has made her happy.

 

4) What is the main conflict? What messes up her life?
She goes to a horse show to buy her first horse, and a man attacks her, then is found murdered in her tack room (that's where they keep the saddles). She just wants to continue to get through life without any more pain, but instead she's a suspect in the murder investigation, AND she is attracting attention from two suitors. They are both good men, completely different, and she doesn't know if she wants ANY romance, let alone either of them.

 

5) What is the personal goal of the character?
Like I said, at first she just wants to buy a horse. Once she is suspected of murder, her primary goal is replaced by a new one - clear her name!

 

6) Can we read more about it?
Certainly! MURDER ON THE HOOF is out and about. You can read all about it on my website, http://gaylecarline.com/murder-on-the-hoof.


I want to thank my buds, LJ and Peg, for including me in this blog hop. A little about them...

L.J. Sellers writes the bestselling Detective Jackson mystery/thriller series—a two-time Readers Favorite Award winner—as well as the Agent Dallas series and provocative standalone thrillers. Her 16 novels have been highly praised by reviewers, and she’s one of the highest-rated crime fiction authors on Amazon. You can find her at http://ljsellers.com.


Peg Brantley is a suspense novelist and has three thrilling works available to speed your pulse. She spent over 25 years in corporate America, but is happy to have those years behind her, and be engaging her readers in compelling stories instead. A Colorado native, Peg is a member of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers, Colorado Authors’ League, and Sisters In Crime. Read more about Peg at http://pegbrantley.com.

On Monday, August 25, you need to hop over to Teresa Burrell's blog to find out more about one of her characters.

Teresa Burrell has dedicated her life to helping children and their families, as a schoolteacher for twelve years and then as a lawyer. She focused her solo practice in juvenile court where she worked primarily with abused minors. She also received several awards from the San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program for her countless hours of pro bono work with children and families.
Burrell writes legal suspense mysteries, incorporating many of her experiences. Her “Advocate Series” consists of five books starting with The Advocate to the most recent, The Advocate’s Ex Parte. She can be found online at www.teresaburrell.com, http://www.facebook.com/theadvocateseries




1 comment:

Peg Brantley said...

I'm so glad to see a slightly older character. It makes me want to push mine up a bit more... I'm thinking 45. Yeah, I could do that.

Have a terrific trip to Scotland! That rocks!

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.