"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Friday, May 20, 2011

A drive-by post

Good morning, Peeps!


I have so much to do today, my head is spinning. It's not always the big things, you know? Sometimes it's trying to remember all the little pieces that go into the big things. For me the big things today are:


1. Go take my riding lesson.
2. Drive (from Chino Hills) to Long Beach and load up my son's stuff from his dorm room. School's out!
3. Drive back to Chino Hills and give a lesson.


Sounds like three things, right? Except it's more, because in between these things I have to:


a. Get some money from the ATM.
b. Get gas in the car.
c. Grab lunch.
d. Fight traffic.
e. Figure out what to do with the dog. (Usually he comes to the ranch with me, but should I take him to Long Beach? Should I leave him to play with the other dogs? Should I just leave him at home?)


It'll all get done in some kind of order, but it did get me thinking that sometimes my writing feels like this. I know what needs to be done, but I have a hard time sorting out the order, so I end up doing a little research here, then a little plotting there, then a smattering of actual writing - gah.


Can't life be a straight line?


In the meantime, here's a video of my friend, Michele Scott, talking about the writing revolution. I love Michele because she's a peach, but especially now, because her enthusiasm for the changes in the publishing industry keep me from being afraid of what's around the corner.





Michele was speaking at the Southern California Writer's Conference in San Diego. Their next conference is in Newport Beach in September. Check it out, and check out her blog.

And off I go. Keep reading!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

My life is like this, too, Gayle. Nutty. Always in a rush and multi-tasking, tweeting and emailing while I wait in line at the bank and in line at the grocery store check out and then sit in traffic (I do refrain from tweeting and emailing then, but it's aggravating wasting time). By the time I get to write, I almost too tired.

Gayle Carline said...

Thanks, Jenny. Why can't the world just leave us alone and let us be brilliant? LOL

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.