"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Thursday, May 26, 2011

I'm releasing it now, dag-nabbit!

I spent today running amok. My tasks ran from posting my newest PNT column to taking my son's new car to be serviced, trying (but not succeeding) to get the title changed, checking on the status of my vendor booth at this summer's Concerts in the Park, and stopping by the store for groceries.

The result of all this is that my brain is amok. But for you, my peeps, I'm going to rein it in.

This morning, I read Helen Ginger's blog post, "Are You Kidding Me?" in which she shares an article she found on the internet stating the reason the Barnes & Noble Nook is so popular is because women hate technology and want simple gadgets, if they want any gadgets at all. Adding insult to injury, the article is written by a woman.

You all know I was a software engineer in a former life. I know lots of other women engineers. I know women who do all sorts of smart, techy stuff. Hell, I've met Sally Ride. So that article was like throwing gasoline on a fire, so much so that I was going to lead the charge into the ezine's cyber-offices and make them issue at least a balanced rebuttal.

Instead of prattling on about it, though, I'm going to take my fight to Facebook. If we got Betty White to host SNL, what else can we accomplish?

In the meantime I've been waiting to hear from my local library to set up a launch party for Hit or Missus. Once I had the date, I was going to release the book, along with details about the party. The problem is that my contact at the library isn't. Contacting me, that is. People get busy, I get it. But I can't put my book on hold while I wait for a phone call.

Perhaps it was my scattered brain trying to focus. Or maybe that article snapped me into taking strong, womanly action.  But I've made a decision.

I'm releasing Hit or Missus this Saturday, rain or shine. It will be available in paperback on Createspace, or in ebook format. I'll start the ebook on Kindle and Smashwords, so it'll migrate to the Nook, Kobo, Sony e-reader, etc. within a couple of weeks. I'll also offer autographed versions on my website.

Stay tuned for free Goodreads giveaways, contests and more!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for releasing your book!

Also, if I haven't said so before, I LOVE the cover. It's perfect. :-)

Enid Wilson said...

Congratulations! I think many people have stereotype about men or women. I want to write some romance stories of female scientists one day.

Chemical Fusion

Gayle Carline said...

Enid, that would be great! Maybe you could make being an engineer sexy.

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.