"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I'm not God, although I keep trying

Here is my very first teaser for Freezer Burn, as assembled by the incomparable (or is it incorrigible?) Michael Steven Gregory of the Southern California Writer's Conference. I like it. It's professionally casual, gives you a hint into who I am, how I write, and how shocking it is to find I'm not a wordsmithing deity. There'll be a couple of more like this, I think, before we get down to the plot. Michael is posting a higher-resolution version on YouTube in the next couple of days.


Whaddya think? I think I sound pretty smart, and look, well, my age. Maybe next time, I'll speak through a sock puppet. Now I know why Streisand always monitors which side she's photographed from.

I really hope Karen (you know, Echelon Press) likes it!

4 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

That went well! You sounded good, you made sense, and you look good close up. I would want that camera man to back off about fifty feet if he was filming me.

Way ta go, Gayle!

Helen
http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com

Diana Black said...

that was GREAT! short, sweet and nice sock.

seriously, i loved it.

i did a blog talk radio interview last week and my second phone line kept ringing! no one has called that line in 20 years! okay, 20 minutes.

good luck!!

Diana
http://www.woofersclub.blogspot.com
http://www.basicblackblog.blogspot.com

Gayle Carline said...

Helen - You're too kind. Really. I keep looking at that pasty-faced woman and wondering how my voice got stuck in there.

Diana - Fortunately, I was in a closed room at a writer's conference doing this interview, so no distractions. I think phones are distraction magnets. Everytime I try to talk to someone on the phone, the dog barks, someone comes to the door, or my son can't find something.

Glad you both like it!

Teresa Burrell, Author, Attorney, Advocate said...

That was super cool. Good info on the tube, too. Tee

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.