"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Monday, April 25, 2011

Proof that I'm not yet a Jedi master

Well, damn.

I got my proof copy of Hit or Missus in the mail today. The cover looks great. I haven't gone page-by-page on the interior, but the first pass looks good. Print font and size are good. So are the margins.

But the back cover, oy, the back cover... I wrote up a jacket blurb that I thought would be interesting, would be compelling, would pull you into reading the rest of it. When Joe sent me the finished product, it looked good. The real thing, however -

There are too many words, aren't there?

Please, be honest. I know you probably won't be able to read the cover (see this entry to read the words - Jacket Blurb #2), but there are too many words on the back, aren't there?

It's not too late to re-do it. I could instead put the jacket blurb as this:

"How far would you go to help a friend? P.I. Peri Minneopa finds out when she takes a case spying on a cheating wife and ends up being hunted by the wife's circle of pals.

After all, a friend will help you move - a good friend will help you move a body."


Any of you Peeps got any ideas?

1 comment:

Enid Wilson said...

If you can cut 2 paragraphs, then it may look better.

Steamy Darcy

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.