"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Monday, September 12, 2011

Pure (bred) silliness

This is a short post today, and entirely silly, but I didn't want to leave yesterday's post up. It feels both like I'd be dwelling on the day and like I let the whole thing get stale by keeping it. I don't know if that makes sense, but if you think I'm just wasting pixels, stop reading and come back when I'm not being whimsical.

Yesterday we went to El Cholo in Los Angeles (the original, since 1927!) and celebrated our cousin Robert's birthday. Robert is 48 and is developmentally disabled.

As we were leaving, I saw the following store across the street:


I admit, a storefront selling puppies disturbs me, although I wonder what kind of business they're doing. "Puppy House" could mean a host of activities, only a few of them good. But then, I looked closer at their sign:


"Give Love for Family and Pretty Puppy" - What the hell does that even mean? Are they selling companion dogs for your pretty puppy? Is this an admonishment for parents who work too much? Or ungrateful kids? Aren't they a little presumptious to think you already have one Pretty Puppy? Someone decode this for me.

If you haven't entered the contest yet - put on your thinking caps and visit last week's blog here.

2 comments:

L. David Hesler said...

Nonsense marketing makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

But I can't try to decipher that sign for too long; otherwise, I think my brain mind start to bend.

Great find, Gayle!

Gayle Carline said...

It's a very diverse neighborhood, but there are lots of Korean signs. I'm wondering if the phrase makes sense in another language.

So happy to make your day, David!

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.