"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Friday, May 22, 2009

I try so hard to be serious

Quick post for today. This morning, I watched Rebecca on Turner Classic Movies. Who knew the man whose name used to be synonomous with "let's take noir classics and colorize them" would start such a wonderful station?



Mrs. Danvers is one of my favorite characters. Insane yet efficient. I've known employers who kept disruptive employees around because they met their monthly quotas. She reminds me of that thought process. ("Well, yes, she's mad as a hatter, but there's always a morning fire in the morning room and an evening fire in the – well, actually, it's all over the house now.")


Even so, every time I see (and enjoy) Rebecca, the back of my head is playing a different movie:






Carol Burnett and crew, in one of their many fine moments.

Can't you just see Judith Anderson, narrowing her eyes at Joan Fontaine and spitting, "Rebecky!"

Yep. I can.

* * * * *

REMINDER: Contest. Need I say more?


7 comments:

Dani said...

Everytime I visit this blog, I fall out of my chair laughing. You're going to kill me some day.

:-Dani
http://twitter.com/blogbooktours

Patricia Stoltey said...

Rebecca is one of my favorites. Maybe that's one of the books I should read this weekend.

Something is broken between Firefox and my viewer so the clip didn't play. I may just come back and check it again with Internet Explorer because I love anything Carol Burnett.

Patricia

Gayle Carline said...

Dani - Stephen King once said that, while tragic, the ultimate compliment to his work would be if he actually scared a reader to death. I suppose having someone really die laughing would be the same kind of dubious honor.

Maybe you should read my blog while you're sitting on the floor.

Gayle Carline said...

Patricia - I am admittedly learning how to embed html in these posts, so it's possible I messed something up.

Try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuDXdVzdyCo

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I love it! "Rebecca" is also one of my favorites. Fire all over the house....too funny!

Elizabeth
http://tinyurl.com/ppelnc

Anonymous said...

Great post. I LOVE the classics and carol Burnette - wow, they just don't make 'em like her anymore. :)

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

N A Sharpe said...

Carol Burnett is such a master of comedy. I wish they'd bring that show back in syndication somewhere.

Nancy
http://nasharpe.blogspot.com

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.