"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Sunday, October 13, 2013

It's a wonderful life

I had a great time in the Placentia Heritage Day Parade and Festival. Of course, I wore my tiara.



Our tram had our names on it, but Al Shkoler and I were the only trustees.


Clifford was there, though.



My booth looks more full of books each year!



I sold a few books, enough to make it a good day. But meeting all the people who came by to say hello made it a great day. Several people actually sought me out this year to tell me they read my column and wanted to meet me.

The best was a man named Eric. He told me he had the same kind of affinity for Fullerton that I have for Placentia, having lived there for many years and raising his sons there. When he moved to Placentia, one of his sons said, "Placentia is the kind of town where people open the garage door on Friday, pull in, close it, and you don't see them again until Monday morning."

Then he told me, "Your columns have let me get to know this town, to feel a part of it."

I would have traded all my book sales just to hear that.

* * * * *

Snoopy's book is still free on Kindle. One more day to get it! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D0HDYRQ

No comments:

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.