"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Checking in

When we last left Gayle, she was up to her thyroid in edits of the new mystery, Murder On The Hoof. Let's check in and see what she's doing today...

Okay, the good news is, I don't have to add a whole week to the timeline. I'm not going to add a bunch of filler just to stretch the story. (Aside: I once had a girl tell me she was going to write a book. She said, "I've got all the key scenes written down. so all I have to do is write a bunch of filler in between." I don't know whether I want to laugh or cry.)

The bad news is, I do have to re-arrange a few scenes and start the action on Monday instead of Wednesday. Is that important? Wellllll...

Standard AQHA shows are Thursday through Sunday. A longer show, like the Sun Circuit, might last from Saturday through to the following weekend. I need my story to end on Saturday. If I start it on the previous Saturday, I've got at least two days that end up as some kind of "the next two days seemed to crawl by as Willie waited for X to happen."

Lame-O.

But if the show starts on Tuesday, the timeline works. Willie and her trainer load in on Monday, someone dies, and off we go. Perfect.

All I have to do is convince my readers that it's perfect timing. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.