"The notion that such persons are gay of heart and carefree is curiously untrue. They lead, as a matter of fact, an existence of jumpiness and apprehension. They sit on the edge of the chair of Literature. In the house of Life they have the feeling that they have never taken off their overcoats."
- James Thurber, My Life and Hard Times

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Stop me, somebody.

My latest book is due to be released in a little over a month. The ebook will be out on Kindle May 21st (Wednesday). The paperback will be out on May 24th, a Saturday. I was agonizing over where to have a release party, until I figured out I needed to work in the morning, then I was invited to a party in the afternoon. I thought about a party on Sunday, but I'm scheduled to be at an event that day, too. So I shall raise a glass at each location and toast the birth of my seventh book-child.

Why am I waiting so long to release MURDER ON THE HOOF? Mostly to set up any advance publicity and marketing. Get a blurb for the press release. Line up some appearances, either at bookstores or online. Do the publisher-thing.

If I can just get the author to stop screwing with the manuscript.

Yes, I've had the book professionally edited. Yes, I was more than happy with the edits. I was satisfied, contented, assured that the changes were good and necessary and made my book better. One of the things I like to do with each book is to read a proof copy of the paperback version, and read a copy on my Kindle. The same words seem to look wildly different, and I find additional ways to tighten the writing.

I'm now on my second paperback proof. It looks good. Perhaps more than good. I love it, from the cover to the words on the page. And yet... I can always find one little change that would make it better. Or would it?

Here's a paragraph I thought was good:


Willie brought the back of her hand across his face. He took a step backward and glowered at her, so she made a fist and punched his nose, knocking him into the table. She didn’t want to stop. Grabbing at the cart next to her, she pulled out a pair of scissors and lurched toward him. The fear on his face made her look up at the weapon she was about to plunge into him. Reality, reason, and good sense returned to her in a flash.


Here's how I thought it would be better:


His weakness fueled her rage. Willie brought the back of her hand across his face. He took a step backward and glowered at her, so she made a fist and punched his nose, knocking him into the table.

Her hand stung, but she didn’t want to stop. Grabbing at the cart next to her, she pulled out a pair of scissors and lurched toward him. The fear on his face made her look up at the weapon she was about to plunge into him.

Reality, reason, and good sense returned to her in a flash.


Is it really so much better that I should continue to tweak? (Note: I said tweak, not twerk.)

I may need an intervention. Can anyone out there get me to step away from the manuscript and put down the red pen?

No comments:

Proud Member of ALA!

I support fair and equitable library access to ebooks and so should you.